Philip Sherrard (1922-1995) was born in Oxford and studied History at Cambridge. After the end of the Second World War, he prepared a doctoral thesis at the University of London, on modern but unknown Greek poetry in England. He was assistant director of the British School of Athens. In 1956 he was baptized Orthodox. In addition to the British School of Athens, he also worked as a researcher at the Royal Institute of International Affairs in England and at St Antony's College, Oxford, while in 1970-77 he was a Lecturer at King's College, London (Orthodox Church History). From 1977 until his death, he lived in a secluded farmhouse in northern Evia, without electricity or telephone, having dedicated his life to transmitting to the Western world elements of the post-Byzantine life and culture of Greece on the one hand, and of its spiritual tradition on the one hand Eastern Orthodox Church on the other. That is why he translated the Philokalia into English (along with Kallistos Ware and Gerald Palmer), as well as many Greek poets (Cavafi, Sikeliano, Seferi, Elytis, Gatso).